Aspire-igen to support Bradford Manufacturing Week
18 April, 2018
- 13% of all jobs in Bradford are in manufacturing, 5% higher than the national average
- That equates to 23,000 people employed in local businesses
- There are 1,200 manufacturing firm based in the city of Bradford
The week aims to engage with around 75 local schools, reach more than 20,000 14-18 year old students and create 1,000 work experience days across the district.
Nick Garthwaite, President of Bradford Chamber, and MD of international chemicals and detergent manufacturers, Christyns, said: "Old manufacturing is evolving into something quite special. The chamber is leading two high impact manufacturing sector initiatives because we want young people to see for themselves the exciting and progressive career opportunities it presents.
Despite Bradford being the youngest city in the UK with a growing population of school leavers. our apprenticeships are low. From August 2016 to January 2018 just 1,510 were undertaken across the manufacturing and engineering sector and there are just 80 manufacturing apprenticeships that we know of that are currently being officially advertised.
We want to encourage manufacturers to consider apprenticeships to futureproof their workforce and for young people to consider apprenticeships as an alternative route to a skilled and rewarding career.
By improving communication between schools and manufacturers and showing just what an innovative industry this is, we believe we can attract the right talent and create a strong, skilled core base for our growing manufacturing sector".
- Give 1,000 students the opportunity to undertake work experience - take a look inside, visit the company, have a go, find out about all of the different jobs these companies have to offer from engineers and technicians to HR, marketing and accounts.
- Come to local schools to give a talk - employees from a local company are willing to get involved. They will come and talk about the different types of jobs in their organisation and how students can progress through the Apprenticeship opportunities they offer
Related News ArticlesSee all
Celebrating Success: Avraj the TV Chef
New Opportunity Centre in Wakefield is Officially Opened
©2016, All rights reserved Aspire-igen Group.